Sea to Sea 2008 Bike Tour

March 20, 2008

Injury Report

I had my first doctor's appointment since my surgury this morning. What a relief. I got to see the incision for the first time today and found out how many staples it takes to hold a hand together (15). I also saw the X-ray of what is going to make traveling through airport security take longer. I've got a two and a half inch plate with eight screws in it keeping the bone in place so it can heal. I look at the back of my hand and wonder how th doctor fit all of it in there. More excitingly, part of my splint was removed so I can start to exercise and use my ring finger and pinkie and he wants me to take off the wrapping and exercise my whole hand 2-3 times per day.

This past week has been tough just because I had so much padding over the incision that I couldn't wear anything long-sleeved without cutting 6 inches up the right sleeves. On top of this there was only one coat that I could slip over my hand, but it was a snug fit and took a couple minutes to get on and off. The things I took for granted have become some of my prayed for items recently: being able to find someone to tie my shoes, cook and do the dishes, being able to wash my hair and the back of my hand, but I like being challenged. There is some humor in some of the things I attempt if aggrivation can be avoided. The coming weeks are looking up: NCAA March madness and the opening day of baseball which do not require any use of my second metal-carpal.

No comments: