Sea to Sea 2008 Bike Tour

November 27, 2007

Introduction

In the summer of 2005 one hundred plus cyclists were riding across Canada to raise money for the future of the Christian Reformed Church. Meanwhile, I was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic on I-80/94 wishing there was something better I could be doing with my time, oblivious to the amazing journey going on a few hundred miles north of me.


Fast forward one year. I am now a college graduate just starting my first full-time job at the Field Museum in Chicago. I am beginning to discover the difference between attending a Christian college devoted to observing how God works in every aspect of my life and working for an institution devoted to observing the scientific processes at work all around us. Global Warming is now the main focus of everyone around me, instead of Global Poverty. Many of my co-workers are avid bike riders because it is both environmentally and economically savvy to do so. Being amongst so many bikers I, naturally, decided that it was about time to upgrade from the mountain bike that I had been riding since I was in fourth grade. About this same time I moved into the city and reduced my hour and a half commute via train to a ten minute bike ride. No matter what the weather, I became committed to saving the planet.

Fast forward one more year. I am taking part in the first bicycle race of my life on my new road bike. The national 24-hour challenge, where the object is to ride as many miles as you can muster in one day's time, confirms for me that I was born a cyclist, it just took me 23 years to realize. The next time I stopped at my parents' house after the race I noticed a promotional postcard for a sea to sea bike tour. With the memory of my 221 miles still fresh my interest was immediately piqued. Upon researching further I discovered that this tour would synthesise both my religious and scientific views; I wouldn't be burning gas in my car at all for two months, but at the same time I would be helping to end the cycle of poverty. I decided that I was in.

Fast forward again...

Only time will tell. All I know is this time I will be one of the one hundred plus, and I can't think of a thing in this world that I could better spend my time doing. There are still 7 months before the tour starts. There is no way to know what God has in store. I have $10,000 dollars to raise and probably a couple thousand miles of training to do. There are people that I barely know or don't know at all that will become very important to me in this stretch of time. As long as I can keep my focus on the task at hand I won't go crazy trying to comprehend the vastness of this undertaking. There is only one certainty: God will provide.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ryan:
Cool blog. Your an energetic thoughtful young man with a big future ahead of you.
My name if Gilbert VandenHeuvel, from Goderich Ontario, Canada. The Sea to Sea 2005 ride was a joy and a life changing challenge for me. Even only doing the first leg, Vancouver to Regina, 3000 km or 1900 miles, it changed my perspective on life. For the better. I see what's important in life, and what doesn't really matter. Community matters, the people around you and what gets people to do the things they do. It was the best 3 weeks of my life, all I had to do was eat, sleep and cycle. The 3 favorite things in my live. well, besides my wife and kids, :-)
You thoughts on fund raising worries me. You don't have to raise the money!! Your church does. You are giving your summer and sacrificing weddings and family time to do this thing for God. Get a few people around you and don't be shy about asking for money. If your excited about it, others will be too. Have faith and ask in the name of the Lord. With the faith of a mustard seed, mountains can be moved and biked over.
About your eating, my best advice from my experience is to have a big plate with you so you can fill up with food as you go through the food lineup. Ordinary plates don't do since you can't hold your cup and fill your plate at the same time. I used a serving tray that had dividers in it. The tray was maybe 18 inches across. It was meant to serve veggies I think. My cup always went in one of the compartments. If you google veggie tray under image you'll see what i mean. I know we are not supposed to covet but the other cyclist had tray envy. Make sure it's sturdy and your set to go.
I'm preaching here, but I thought your blog was genuine and that compeled me to write back.
Are you on facebook? you can search my name and find me there if you have any other questions. I learnt about tents and what to pack, and life on the road as a cyclist, who to ride with,(same group every day or different people)
The ride will be everything you want it to be, and more
My prayers are with you in your fund raising, and be safe on the road.
God Bless,
Gilbert VandenHeuvel