Sea to Sea 2008 Bike Tour

June 27, 2008

Train, Train, Go Away

I'm in Washington.

Left Chicago Tuesday, had a train ticket, but ended up on a bus all the way to Minneapolis. Glad that I made it on the first express bus because the one following us broke down in the Chicagoland area and had to be repaired. They arrived 5 hours after us, which made the train 3 hours late departing Minneapolis. I have to say that my overall train experience was excellent despite everything. I couldn't tell you how much sleep I got since I woke up and had to change possitions a lot, but in each of the two 24 hour periods I probably managed 6 hours. I was ready to get off when the time came, but I got a lot of reading, crosswording, gameboying, etc. done and the view was nothing to complain about.

I got picked up by my cousin Lynae and driven back to see family in Lynden. The first shower after a couple days on the train is amazing. I had packed a lot of dry food for the trip (Ritz crackers, peanuts, Cap'n Crunch) so the warm food was great too. I'm really enjoying my time out here to relax a little before the tour starts. My uncle loaned me his bike while mine is still in the box and I put in about 30 miles today. The bike was a little small for me, but I managed. I rode almost to the corner of the US today and did an unofficial practice dipping of my tire into the Pacific. Really pretty country out here and it's nice to have a backdrop of mountains while riding; it's a little different than the absent backdrop of Indiana.

Was invited to stop by the Lynden Tribune by my aunt and got interviewed for an article that will come out next Wednesday. I seem to have a knack for finding my way into print (this is the fifth that I know of).

I already got my first game of Settlers in on this trip! Things are definately looking up.

Tomorrow Tomorrow Tomorrow...I can't wait.

2 comments:

Art said...

Tyler,

I'm joining the tour in GR and just was browsing various cyclist blogs, as I can't help but be caught up in the excitement... And wishing I was there.

Anyways, I saw you mention Lynden and your Aunt, and I just realized that your aunt is likely Jacki (Bruxvoort) Matter ??? If so, please pass on greetings from Art Mulder -- we served on the Calvin Alumni Board together a few years ago.

Small world. No, small denomination. :-)

Hope things go well on Monday!

Perhaps I'll bump into you during the last two weeks...

Art said...

Argh!! and of course I mixed up your first name with the name of the cyclist ABOVE you in the list of blogs. Sorry, Ryan!

...art